The helmet has become an essential element of our life as it keeps our head safe (the most critical part of our body) if any accident occurs. Owing to its importance during riding, we also need to keep it clean and clear.
As far as the cleaning of the helmet is concerned, every helmet typically contains three distinct components. These are liner, shell, and strap. Each of these components has been designed for some specific function. All the components are crucial, but we will only talk about how to clean bike helmet straps in this article.
Bike helmet straps are synthetic made material. They differ in characteristics like fabric, surface finishing, and texture. The material of construction is selected based on its softness and flexibility. In the straps, the deposits of dead body skin, fats, and salts occur, allowing the growth of the bacteria and spreading an unpleasant smell. It is highly unhygienic as it causes skin irritation or acne.
We can invest massive money on high-quality, heavy-duty, and advanced design helmets but don’t have time to keep them clean. There will be no use of even a high-quality helmet if you don’t clean it regularly. Some people might find it hard to clean the bike helmet straps, but it is effortless to clean the helmet straps.
Let’s have a look at the simple procedure of how to clean bicycle helmet straps.
Why is it crucial to wear a helmet?
The helmet plays a crucial role in the life of the rider. It is essential for your comfort as well as safety. You can save your head from severe injuries like brain damage, concussion by falling from the concrete road or mountains. You can also keep yourself safe from rains, strong winds, and hailstorms, etc.
In case you don’t have a helmet, best road bike helmets under $100 can help you choose within your budget.
How we deteriorate the helmet?
The body releases sweat or oil while riding on the trough trail or even street biking. The cheek pads and inner linings usually absorb these liquids and the chin straps of the helmet. It will generate unhygienic odour and bacterial germs. First of all, the straps of the helmet will deteriorate. Straps are also ignored during regular cleaning.
It happens because you can remove the liners and pads, but the straps are not removable even in the big brand’s helmet. Most people also don’t know how to clean bike helmet straps properly. The straps also got damage if we use abrasive detergents or rough clothes.
How to clean bike helmet straps?
Let’s have a look at the simple process of cleaning the bike helmet straps.
- First of all, you must remove the inner pads of the helmet. Remove the deposits like dust, minerals, and debris. Do it with the help of a soft brush rather than putting it in the washing machine. You can also use a wasted toothbrush for this purpose.
- Turn and twist the straps and clean their sides before dipping them into the water for washing.
- Now put the straps in the warm water. Apply some soap or any detergent. After that, take out your brush and rub it gently on the straps. Rub it all around the straps to thoroughly clean the helmet straps.
- After brushing, rinse it to ensure that no detergent or soap has left on the strap. Now keep it aside for drying purposes.
- When it is thoroughly dried, then smell it. If it still stinks, then again repeat the above-mentioned process. But if it is not stinking, then spray all around the helmet anti-bacterial spray. In the end, you will get a clean and odourless helmet.
Additional Tips as a Bonus
Here we have additional tips and tricks to refine your cleaning process further.
- You can also use any toothbrush, soft brush, or sponge to clean the helmet strap. After brushing and soaping, wash it in the shower rather than in the sink.
- Used water-based soaps like dishwashing soap or hair shampoo. It will not damage your strap. Don’t use petroleum-based products as it could damage the helmet further.
- Soak it in warm water for some hours to get a spotless and odourless helmet strap.
- For removing the smell, you can also use white vinegar and mix it with water. Take it as a 1:10 portion.
- Before wearing the helmet, keep ensuring that it is in perfect condition to avoid any mishap.
- If you sweat more, always use the helmet with good ventilation conditions.
Alternative materials used as a strap
For bikers having sensitive skin, you can also use an alternative material in place of the straps. People having sensitive skin usually experience itching and marks on their face and neck due to the polyester material of the helmet.
If you are not feeling good with the polyester, you can also use leather in its place. Some helmets with leather or faux leather are good alternatives as it keeps your helmet moisture free and keeps your body cool and dry.
Steps to avoid while cleaning the bike helmet straps
- Don’t squeeze the strap.
- Don’t be too harsh with straps, or use any offensive material on the strap.
- Don’t use strong soaps.
- Don’t use too hot water.
- Don’t scrub any part of your helmet.
- Use only relevant ingredients and solvent-based cleaners.
- Dry the strap with a suitable medium.
Steps to take while cleaning the bicycle helmet straps
- Only use light soap with water.
- Only use a soft cloth or towel for cleaning purposes.
- Soak it with warm water to remove debris.
- Use cotton buds for reaching challenging places.
- Try to apply as little force as possible.
- Use room fan for safe drying.
- Tear apart the uneven straps.
Below is the video explanation for straps cleaning.
Straps are the only component in your helmet which keeps your head in one place during an accident. You will not only get protection from straps but also comfort. Thus, you must ensure that the straps are clean, clear, odourless, and in perfect condition without wear and tear. It would help if you keep your helmet clean rather than investing in it again and again. But if your helmet straps have been worn out, then it is better to let them go and buy a new helmet for yourself. Thus, maintain your helmet and have a great ride.