Knowing how to remove scratches from helmet visor can save you some extra bucks. Otherwise, you might need to replace the visor itself. Now with some easy steps, you can remove the deep starches from your helmet visor and restore your visibility completely.
It is a DIY (Do It Yourself) method that requires your full attention as the visor shield is sensitive to pressure. To make the task easier for you I will share all the applicable steps with you so that you can get scratches out of your helmet visor quickly.
Without any further ado, let’s start.
Method No. 1 : How To Remove Scratches From Helmet Visor
Things Needed For The Task
- 320-grit sandpaper
- 2000-grit sandpaper
- Paper towel
- Old buffing wheel
- Scratch and swirl remover
- Remove the visor from the helmet.
- Take a piece of 320-grit sandpaper and wet sand the area of the helmet visor where you see the scratch.
- Make sure that the sandpaper is wet and keep scrubbing the sandpaper on the visor until the scratch is not visible.
- Scrub the sandpaper in a circular motion for best results. There might be little pieces of debris left on the visor which is from the sandpaper itself so don’t worry about that.
- This whole process will most likely take you around 15 minutes and you will end up with a shiny helmet visor.
- Move over to the 2000-grit sandpaper and repeat the process.
- After redoing the whole process your helmet visor should have a uniform and smooth finish which means that you are doing everything right.
- The job is not done yet. Take some scratch and swirl remover on a piece of cloth and rub it on the visor to get that luster and shine back. Your visor will look completely brand new once you are finished with this part.
- Alternatively, you can use an old buffing wheel to do the same job that you have done by using your hands.
By following these as easy as a pie steps you will get a shiny visor that is free of any scratches.
Method No. 2 : How To Remove Scratches From Helmet Visor
Things Needed For The Task
- A screwdriver that is compatible to remove visor from helmet
- A toothbrush(that is not in use anymore)
- A cup or small pot
- Remove the visor using a screwdriver carefully
- Apply the toothpaste to the visor
- Swiftly rub the toothpaste using a toothbrush over the whole visor, dropping some water to dilute the paste, in the meanwhile.
- Add shampoo and Eno into the water and stir it so that shampoo and Eno get dissolved.
- Now apply this solution to the visor, and rub it for some time.
- After that now use a tissue and clean the solution.
- And that is how to remove scratches from helmet visor like a BOSS.
NOTE: It is one of the best ways to clear helmet visor at home
Best Way To Get Scratches Out Of Football Visor
Football is a sport where you can’t even make an inch of a mistake. It is quite clear that you require your helmet to be in pristine condition so that you can read the best plays of your quarterback accurately.
Unfortunately, football is a brutal contact sport where your helmet visor takes a lot of damage from time to time. Therefore it is common for your football helmet visor to be drenched in some starches.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to get starches out of a football visor.
- First up you will have to remove the visor from your football helmet visor by unscrewing it from the sides.
- Now, take a bucket of cool clean water with you. Rinse your football visor in the bucket to remove any large visible residue from the visor shield.
- Soak the visor in the bucket for nearly five minutes so that any visible dust is taken care of.
- When you are done soaking the visor in the bucket. Add dish soap to the bucket.
- As the soap mixes in the water pick up a clean microfiber cloth. Wash the visor with the microfiber so that any residue or dirt is removed.
- After rinsing the football visor you will have to let it dry for some time.
- Next, you will begin the scratch removing process. Firstly, you will have to clear the minor scratches by using an eyeglass cleaning solution.
- Apply two to three squirts of eyeglass cleaning solution and wipe the visor with a clean soft microfiber cloth.
- For filling the non-structural scratches you will have to get yourself an eyeglass reconditioning kit.
- Again clean the visor with a cleaning solution so that the bare plastic surface becomes visible. At this stage, wipe the visor lens with a soft cloth.
- Apply a thin and consistent layer of eyeglass reconditioning solution over the scratched areas.
- Place the visor on a shelf so that it dry’s easily. Lastly, reapply a second layer of the eyeglass reconditioning scratch filler so that the deep scratches get taken care of.
How To Clean Your Helmet Visor So That It Remains Scratch Free!
Cleaning your helmet visor needs to be done carefully so that your helmet visor can get that crystal clear shine and you can easily see through it without any hassle. Now, it is not as easy as it looks because the glass of the visor is pretty sensitive to scratches.
Keeping this in mind, I will take you through the whole cleaning process step by step so that you can easily wash your helmet visor. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into the steps.
1. Remove Any Extra Padding From Your Helmet and Set It Near A Sink
Carefully place your helmet next to a sink. Make sure that there is nothing in your sink as it will hamper the cleaning process. There should only be your helmet placed next to the sink. Remove any electronic systems or padding from the helmet.
2. Soak A Clean Wash Cloth In Hot Water
Let the water running in your sink and wait for about 3-4 minutes so that the water can get warmed up. Afterward, grab a clean piece of cloth and place it inside your sink so that it gets soaked completely.
3. Cover The Visor With The Soaked Cloth For 3-5 Minutes
This step is essential in removing any dirt, debris, or residue from your helmet. Carefully place your helmet on the shelf with the helmet visor closed. Cover the visor completely with the soaked cloth for about 3-5 minutes.
You can skip this step if your helmet doesn’t have any dust on it.
4. Squeeze Dish Soap On A Microfiber Cloth And Scrub Smoothly
The key here is to smooth gently without any unnecessary pressure as the objective is to clean the visor and not damage it any further. Scrub lightly in both vertical and horizontal positions 2-3 times.
5. Wash Off The Soap By Using A Clean Wash Cloth.
You might not like it but it is recommended that you should have at least 2 3 wash clothes with you while you are on this DIY project. Grab your clean washcloth and soak it again with warm water.
In the same manner, in which you applied the dish soap on the visor now you need to clean it off. You will have to rub the warm washcloth on the visor 2-3 times in the back-and-forth movements.
Make sure that you get all the soap and bubbles off the visor so that there is no soap residue left on the visor screen.
6. Take Some Baby Shampoo And Mash It On A Microfiber Cloth
Soak a clean microfiber under warm water for a couple of seconds. Afterward, squeeze 4.9-9.9 ml of baby shampoo on the microfiber cloth and distribute it evenly throughout the microfiber cloth.
7. Clean The Inside Of The Visor Gently With Care.
Cover every section of the inside of your visor and clean it with the microfiber cloth that contains the baby shampoo. Make sure that you are gentle with the contact as unnecessary force can damage the visor screen.
You can also remove the visor screen from the helmet itself and clean it easily under the sink.
8. Rinse The Visor Under Low Pressure Of Water
This will work if you have removed the visor from the helmet as instructed in step no 7. Rinse it under low-pressure water from both sides so that all the baby shampoo gets removed without any hassle.
On the other hand, if your visor is still attached to the helmet. You will have to remove the baby shampoo by using a wet microfiber cloth by rubbing the visor from the inside of your helmet. It is important to wipe carefully so that all the bubbles and shampoo residue are cleaned.
9. Let Your Helmet Dry For Approximately 2-3 Hours
Reattach the visor to the helmet if you had removed it from the helmet earlier. Set the helmet straight so that the visor isn’t laying flat on the back. Let the visor and helmet dry themselves in the air for around 2-3 hours.
Make sure that the visor is reattached to the helmet correctly so that it gets dry within a couple of hours easily.
Some Last Words:
Cleaning your helmet visor is not as tough as it sounds. It is a pretty easy hack that you can do without spending any additional money.
All you need is a couple of things that are readily available in every household to get the job done.
In the end, you will have your visor all cleaned up and shiny which is quite crucial for 100% visibility.